Monday, May 28, 2007

Restaurant Review: M Cafe de Chaya (LA, CA)

This restaurant came highly recommended by several people, and it lived up to our expectations, and then some. Little did we know that we had dined at the location of this restaurant, several years ago when it was called "Marisa's Burrito Adventure." It's been totally remodled, of course, and now, it reminds me of a French Cafe.






My entree came out first: 'Seitan Katsu Bowl' $10.50

It consists of a crispy seitan cutlet, tangy katsu sauce & shredded cabbage salad (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower & carrots). All that is on top of organic, heirloom-variety Kokuho Rose Brown Rice from Koda Farms. "Katsu" (Japanese style fried chicken) is new to me, and it is delicious!




Then, Art's arrived: 'Carolina-Style Barbequed Sandwich' $11.00

Which has thinly sliced grilled seitan basted with their own zesty barbeque sauce and piled high on a house-baked, whole-wheat bun with grilled onions, and pickles. On the side is kale with a spicy peanut sauce.







Here it is all lined up along with a side of 'Scarlet Quinoa Salad'. We enjoyed our meal out on the patio, although there was a lady loudly talking on her cell phone next to us (negatively about vegetarianism to boot --). But all of that said, there was nothing stopping this from being a first class vegan dining experience worth all the hubub. They prepare each and every item daily using only the finest seasonal and organic ingredients without any refined sugars, egg, dairy, red meat or poultry. Yes, we will definately be back to this Macrobiotic Cafe & Deli.
M Cafe de Chaya
7119 Melrose Avenue
LA, CA 90046
323.525.0588
open daily 9 to 9

9 comments:

Theresa said...

Sounds like a good experience, despite the rude woman. Why would you diss vegetarianism when you're eating at a macrobiotic cafe?? I just can't comprehend some things.

I am jealous of all your delicious restaurant experiences! Seitan, tempeh, tofu... sigh, I wish there were vegan restaurants around here!

Anonymous said...

im like theresa, im getting jealous (JUST A BIT :) of so much delicious food!

very lucky girl!!!

julie hasson said...

Hi Vicki! It's so funny because when I lived in LA I felt like there weren't many veg restaurants to eat at (besides Native Foods and RFD). I guess it was just a matter of time.

Your food at M Cafe looks great. Those were dishes that I hadn't tried. I'll have to give them a try the next time I'm down. Did you try their rice Krispy treats?

Aurelie said...

Wow, the seitan sounds especially good. Maybe the negative comments about vegetarianism are due to Death By Veganism? The article is going to make quite a few people more disrespectful of veganism. *sigh*

aTxVegn said...

I love to eat at macrobiotic restaurants and your entrees looks fabulous. There's nothing better than local organic cuisine. Maybe Japanese style fried chicken means it's coated with panko and sesame seeds - yum!

Mikaela said...

The scarlet quinoa looks absolutely wonderful :)

Shananigans said...

Yummy! I'll be sure to try and visit this place next time I'm in LA. Glad you enjoyed your RFD experience. Next time try the red bean burger with "bacon", it's to die for.

bazu said...

Oh my gosh, Vicki, how many of your posts did I miss??? It looks like you ate so well while you were traveling! And thank you for the detailed restaurant reviews- what a great resource. I'm glad you're back to blogging, hope you are getting a chance to relax at home!

spiceislandvegan said...

You got to try their desserts! I highly recommend their Chocolate and Banana Napoleon like dessert. They are yummy! Maybe next time when you stop buy again.