Thursday, September 6, 2007

Karen, All Vegan, & El Zerape (San Diego 1 of 5)


Here's Art and I on August 22, 2007.













***FLASHBACK!***

And, here we are August 22, 15 years earlier.











In honor of that, we put the girls in the
loving hands of CA G'ma & G'pa so that we could go celebrate.

Back to where it all began.... in San Diego.









Going to San Diego also means cultivating new relationships. Like hanging out with
Karen and enjoying a vegan meal together. So far, she has introduced me to three awesome eateries Sipz, Kung-Food, and now, El Zerape.

I love this photo of Mattie, Karen, and I because we all have the same "I'm so happy to see you!" expression.




But, before lunch, Karen took me to
All Vegan across the street from the restaurant. I've been wanting to visit this cruelty-free store since I read about it in VegNews.

It was smaller than I anticipated, but jam-packed with loads of vegan goodies like shoes, bags, shirts, and snacks. We had a great conversation with Karen's friend who works there, and I bought a couple "beans wax" candles and picked up some flyers & stickers. We both noted the Everyday Dish DVD on a display as well as a copy of Vegan Lunch Box.






Then, we walked across the street to El Zerape. Karen said she likes to get the soy protein burrito without cheese, so that's what we both got.

We walked to a pretty nearby park with the burritos, marinated carrots & salsa in hand to enjoy on a shady picnic table. At one point Karen says, "I don't know what's in this burrito, but it's really good!" We laughed and puzzled over it for a bit. What was it? The only thing we knew for sure was that it was plant-based and delicious. In the end, that's all we needed to know.

Thanks for introducing me to cool places and taking time to hang out, Karen! I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

7 comments:

Teresa said...

aawwww... you and Art are too cute! Congrats on 15 years- a true accomplishment. And what a lovely family you have together. Your girls are so lucky.

Sounds like you had a good time in San Diego. You and Kleo are almost like old friends at this point. I also like the picture of you 2 and Mattie.

Did G'ma and G'pa do a good job during your absence?

Kumudha said...

You have some great pictures in this blog!
San Diego looks like a great city for vegans.

Anonymous said...

very cute and sweet post!

Amey said...

fun! I love "All Vegan". I had a fun time going there when I was down in San Diego. Did you eat at Rancho's??? That place is a vegan paradise! It's actually an omni restaurant, but they have a huge menu with tons of veggie choices - including super good vegan pancakes on the vegan menu. I will be down in SD for a friend's baby shower in October, and I am as least excited about the pancakes as I am about the shower! ha ha. Is it okay to admit that?

love Amey

ps happy anniversary to you and Art!

bazu said...

Happy anniversary to you two lovebirds! 15 years is an extraordinary achievement- here's to many many more! Our anniversaries are less than 2 weeks apart- how cool, eh?

Looks like you had a great time in San Diego with Ms. K and Mattie- makes me miss CA a lot!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

aww, that's so fun that you got to hang out with Karen!! and I'm loving the "flashback" photos of you and Art - thank you for sharing all the great memories and times you've had together over the years :0)

Mikaela said...

How fun :) What an awesome trip!