Thursday, May 15, 2008

Flore & Fun

Art wanted to take me back to his current favorite, Flore (3818 W. Sunset Blvd. Silver Lake 323.953.0611) because last time we had brunch, which is a limited menu compared to the dinner and not a fair sampling of the many delectable options.

We both started with a bowl of the soup of the day 'Roasted Broccoli Soup' and I nearly licked the bowl. It was so tasty! I put the sprouty things in mine which tasted like radishes.



I was torn on what to order, and mentioned the 'Delectable Selectable' to our server. He kindly tipped me to get 'The Salad' instead because it includes all that and more: Bed of mixed baby greens topped with portions of tofu egg salad, shredded carrot, baked tofu, roasted beets, edamame salad, tomato, avocado, daikon sprouts, and a side of hummus. $9.95 Such a great sampling of the delicious, fresh food.
Art's regular is the 'Avocado & Seitan Salad' $8.95, which is basically what you see. We enjoyed the patio street scene.


If you have kids in LA, you gotta go here....


The Boone Children's Gallery -- LACMA West
6067 Wilshire Blvd. @ Fairfax Ave. 323.857.6128

This photo shows only a small portion of the large, stocked art studio that everyone is free to explore.




The exhibit is called Construct -- where you can learn, play, paint, build, and be artists. It's so great.

The Boone Children's Gallery is an open art studio for everyone.

Here are Abi & Liv painting to their heart's content.






We enjoyed checking out this city built from recycled materials, complete with planes and rocket ships hanging from the ceiling.


Did I mention that this is all free?! Free of charge for you, and for the kids. This must be the best deal in town for kid's activities. I highly recommend it, and we'll be back for sure.




The girls were zonked out in the backseat when we drove by
Nature Mart on Hillhurst and Art says, "I'll drop you, and park," gifting me a rare opportunity to shop hands-free. I wandered around a bit, then spotted something I've been wanting to try for years -- Uncle Eddie's Vegan Cookies. I had to cross state lines to finally find them, and it was well worth it. I selected the peanut butter chocolate-chip cookies and they were soft, super delicious, and a family favorite for sure. Wish we had another bag.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

you should have licked the bowl! :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ahh, I'm so envious of all of these great restaurants that you venture to - I LOVE 'The Salad' (simple name, but lots of flavor!)

What a fabulous exhibit; and you can't go wrong with cookies! Yum! Get an extra bag next time, for sure ;0)

trina said...

More jealousy. I think maybe Desmond will finally be old enough for the kids wing at LACMA this summer. Not that I'm wishing away any babyhood, but I've been so excited to take him there.

Ms.B said...

I'm so jealous of that art space! What a great idea, every city should have something like that. Also, I don't want to encourage bad habits but uncle eddies (which are the best! yes!) are sold in bulk packs on amazon.

Carrie™ said...

Roasted broccoli soup? Oh, that sounds delicious! What a cool place for the girls. Actually, I'd kinda like to go there for me.
It's so nice that you got to see Karen again. I wish she wasn't so far away from me. I'd like to come meet you too Vicki! Maybe someday. Enjoy the rest of your time in California.

DJ said...

Wow the Boone children's gallery looks awesome! And am envious of all that yummy, fresh-looking food!

Jackie said...

The roasted broccoli soup sounds wonderful.

What a wonderful place to take kids.

Catherine Weber said...

Wow -- what a gallery! That picture of your girls painting . . . the gallery folks have really got it right. Big paper, big light, big plants, step stools, even! I wish they'd come and spruce up the preschool where I work!! :)

Glad to hear about all of the fun and fabulous eats!

aTxVegn said...

Roasted broccoli soup sounds so good, even when it's 95 degrees here. I love that city at the gallery - how fun for your girls!

I thought my Whole Foods stopped carrying Uncle Eddie's, but then I found them in the refrigerated section. Aren't they insanely good?!?!

Kumudha said...

Wow! so many good restaurants in your
area.

Jennie said...

Your trip to California looks like tons of fun and lots of good eating. I have family in California, but haven't been since I've been a Vegan. I will definitely try out some of these great vegan spots next time I'm out!!!!

Theresa said...

Everything looks so nice. I especially love the cookie label. It looks homemade!

Anonymous said...

The web sites are not very specific, would a current owner of an iPhone 3G with unlimited texting please let me know what their monthly bill is? Many thanks.
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://www.khulikitab.com/political-matters-f3/how-do-you-download-apps-to-an-iphone-that-is-no-longer-in-s-t4592.html]unlock iphone[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd love to thank you for such a great quality site!
I was sure this would be a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/nascar-party-supplies.html]nascar Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Before finding out about links of london uk watches you should be familiar with some of the terminology. cheap links of london The word horology has two meanings; it is the study or science of measuring time links london jewellery or the art of making clocks, watches, and devices for telling links of london sale time.Since the first appearance of man on the earth an effort has links of london silver been made to determine time.The tracking of the sun's movement across discount links of london the sky, candles that were marked at intervals.