Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Leaf cuisine

Yesterday, we had lunch at Leaf cuisine, it is:

RAW
VEGAN
ORGANIC

They recycle, compost, use non-toxic cleaning supplies, bio-diesel vehicles, recycled paper & corn based to-go cups. Grains, seeds & nuts are soaked & sprouted. Their food is not heated above 110*F.


We were eager to give this nutritious, environmental, ethical, healthful, green, living foods restaurant a try!!

We went to the Sherman Oaks location (14318 Ventura Blvd - cross street is Beverly Glen) 818.907.8779

We shared a 'Tropical Trip' smoothie, and it was a delectable mix of mango, papaya, pineapple, banana, coconut mylk & dates. $5.99


I ordered the 'Trinity Sampler Salad' which is choosing 3 selections - what a great way to sample the menu! I chose Veggie Sunburger (veggie-seed croquettes topped with sweet tangy tomato sauce) Flying Falafel (sprouted chickpea falafel croquettes with creamy tahini sauce) and Bombay (sprouted lentil croquettes topped with creamy coconut-curry sauce) My favorite was the falafel. The salad was fresh with many kinds of lettuce, sprouted mung beans, cabbage, carrots, sprouts, tomatoes. $11.99


Art wanted the 'Hale Kale Salad' (chopped kale, avocado, sprouted wild rice, mung beans, tomatoes & cayenne) but they were out. $9.99


So he ordered 'Coconut Mushroom Medley Sandwich' (coconut & portobello loaf with mushroom sauce, romaine, tomato & sprouts between slices of herb bread) $9.99




Last night, we rode the Metro Rail to Olvera Street for some Cinco de Mayo celebration.

Here we are waiting in line, listening to the mariachi band, & watching people buy souvenirs at the outdoor markets. It feels like Mexico!
By the time we sat down, it was too dark to snap photos of our potato tacos and margaritas. OLE! We hopped off the metro at exciting Hollywood & Highland to have a beer before heading home. The kids are having a blast too @ Camp Grandparents! :)

15 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oooh, that restaurant sounds too good to be true! fabulous!

DJ said...

Aw, you guys are so cute! The last time SVD and I had any time together was when I was pregnant with number 1 son and number 1 daughter went to visit with my parents in Manchester - sigh! Happy times! The food looks awesome, too!

urban vegan said...

What a wonderful meal....jealous. Have a gr-8 vaca, Vicki!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

"Camp Grandparents" made me laugh! Such a clever name :o).

And those salads look gorgeous-- I love big salads.

Theresa said...

Sounds like such a great trip! I'm sure the grandparents love having the little cuties around, and getting a night off for potato tacos and beer is never a bad thing!

Thora said...

Yum I am hungry.I love fresh vegetables.

Diz Rivera said...

Ah man, check you out in my neighborhood. I love Leaf though haven't been to the one in Sherman Oaks. Did you try the cinnamon rolls? Wow.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like an absolutely delicious meal! Hope yall are enjoying your alone time with the kids off at "camp"!

julie hasson said...

Looks like you're having a great trip Vicki. How fun for you and Art!

Anonymous said...

Good times! I wonder though if that was more fun than Camp Grandparents?

Raw, vegan, organic- sounds so good too be true, doesn't it? (Though we also have one in Minneapolis)

MeloMeals said...

How great you two got a night out on the town!

I am so intrigued by all this raw food... I can't wait to start figuring out recipes when I do my 30 day challenge this summer.

The Little Mama said...

Holy hannah.... I haven't been blog-checking in a million years, and apparently I missed quite a bit!!!

turquoise cro said...

Olvera St? I'll have to check that out, it sounds like YOU know what!!! tee hee HOPE YOU had a HAPPY Birthday!!! and HAPPY Mother's Day too!!!Was out to mom and dads Saturday and I was soOOOOOOOoo happy to seeeeeeee a little bluebird fly out of a fence post and onto a tree! Gina was in the bath tub different times on Mother's Day!!! Tornados!!! She said she was coming home!!! LOL This year the weather is wacky everywhere it seems! (((((Vicki)))))

Jen said...

Oooo, that sounds so good! A restaurant called Leaf opened near where I live, but they didn't even have any vegan options!!! How crazy is that? Your Leaf sounds much better!

bazu said...

My brother took me to Leaf cuisine last time I was in the area- and I loved their desserts! I'm loving your SoCal posts and catching up to your blog!