Friday, April 3, 2009

Veggie Grill, Vicious Dogs, & More. It's Southern California, baby.

The girls and I met Karen for lunch at the Veggie Grill on Campus Drive. This place rocked my taste buds and is 100% animal-free! I have a fantasy that this restaurant replaces every single McDonalds on Earth. Imagine that.
Karen ordered The V-Burger (grilled steak burger) for now and The Stack (grilled veggie sandwich) for later at work. I got the Grillin' Chickin' (with cilantro pesto, avocado & other veggies on a wheat bun). Quinoa is a treat in the salads and you must get Sweetheart Fries.


I can't resist vegan cookbooks, so I was eager to check this place. The store is tucked in the back corner of a San Diego shopping center - similar to the way the books are crammed in the store. Stacks and piles of (mostly) cookbooks everywhere! I like scavenger hunts and found an abundant vegetarian section, but not one vegan book. With all the clutter, I asked. She said there's a HUGE demand for vegan cookbooks and she can not keep them in stock. Disappointing. A Moosewood and Newman's Own Organics Guide was the best I could do.

Vicious Dogs. It's a meathouse with killer vegan hotdogs! Willie understands and cooks it separately with pride. I've raved about this place a time or two before, and I mean it, if you are anywhere near North Hollywood and crave a delicious, no fuss, inexpensive vegan meal, you must give this a try. Really, do yourself a favor.
You see fries, a plain with ketchup for Abi, and my new favorite. A #4 "Chicago Style" featuring tomatoes, onion, peppers, pickle, & green relish. What a treat! So fresh & zesty!


I savored a shopping spree at Whole Foods while in California. I miss them and Trader Joe's dearly since moving to Idaho, but I digress. These are the things that caught my eye: I'd buy both food bars again (Organic Fiber Bar & Raw*Revolution) which are vegan and raw. Nature's Path Hemp Plus Granola is completely addicting. O.N.E. coconut water is rich in potassium & good in smoothies, but I'll stick to bananas. We went ga-ga over the eco-planet cookies. And I look forward to raw chocolate adventures with the cacao beans.

and look! I won a BIG jar of Vitamineral Green from Kristen's Raw, who drinks it daily, says: "Many ways... in a fruit smoothie is great, or add a teaspoon to a green juice. If you're not used to it... start small with a teaspoon in whatever you put it in. I'm at a tablespoon serving now, but I worked my way up to it. Sometimes I just chug it down fast with some water or orange juice - it's very green, but so good for you! It's easily hidden in smoothies though :)"
Next up is a Follow Your Heart restaurant review.

14 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

HOORAY FOR MEETING UP WITH KAREN!! :-)

jb said...

Ahh you get all the good restaurants, not fair! Everything sounds sooo good

Karen M. M. said...

I have a friend in No. Hollywood, so I am excited to try Viscious Dog when I visit. Thanks for the tip!

Nicole said...

I'm jealous of these delicious eats! So good.

MeloMeals said...

Nice to see a post! How cool that you won the powder AND got to eat great vegan food with Karen!

Tell her hi from me the next time you see her.

julie hasson said...

Fun post Vicki! And congrats on winning the Vitamineral Green.

As a side note, you can come check out my pantry (and chocolate chips) anytime. Aren't you about due for a trip West soon?

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

hI! my mom drinks that vitamineral green.... it tastes disdgusting and have to chug it... but it totally makes a difference! if you dont like it i usually take a super green pill... greens in a pill form .. goes down quick :)

aTxVegn said...

Vegan food and shopping - how fun!

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

wow, so many great places to eat.. i think the same way.. why cant there be a veggie 'mcdonalds' that would be awesome..

Shangrilewis said...

Yummy hot dogs. That looks like so much fun!!!

I love the Vitamineral Greens. The best way to have them is in a berry smoothie.

Katy said...

Great post and photos Vicki as always! I hope Veggie Grill comes to the Midwest sometime soon...

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ohh, I've been wanting to check out the Veggie Grill! I like the EcoPlanet (vegan) Cheddar crackers!

vko said...

Um, I want to visit Southern California please...need to get my paws onto a vicious dog! So glad to see Karen on your blog!

Taylor said...

Yum, I love the Veggie Grill! They got rid of my favorite sandwich, though, which is a total bummer. Maybe I will have to try a mockup recipe sometime soon.