Friday, July 21, 2006

Magic Loaf, Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy, Quinoa Salad, & Berry Scones

I did some yoga, I'm not about to start my period, and I'm still not OK. Please, just go see the movie and encourage your friends.

There are many simple things we can do in our everyday life, and this is a nice action item list.

In that spirit, we took a trip to The Berry Ranch. You probably already know that buying locally reduces the amount of energy required to drive your products to your store. When you buy from the farmer, there is less packaging, which could reduce your garbage by about 10%. Save 1,200 pounds of carbon dioxide and $1,000 per year. An added bonus is when a farm is organic, which is great, because the chemicals used in modern agriculture pollute the water supply, and require energy to produce. Let's promote, support, and celebrate our local farms -- before they sell out.


Here are some of the berries from the farm along with cantaloupe. In the bowl is VwaV 'Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy' and this recipe seals the brilliance of Isa in my mind - it is amazing. The brown lump on the right is my first attempt at The Magical Loaf Studio -- a clever idea by Jennifer @ the Vegan Lunch Box Blog. Be sure to enter your choices at the above link, and press submit to reveal the quantities and instructions (something I failed to do)

I used:

Smart Ground
Hemp Seed Nuts (not on the menu)
Uncooked Quick Oatmeal
Onion
Canned Black Beans with Liquid
Flaxseed Meal
Vegetable Oil
Cumin
Bragg's (not on the menu)




This is just a simple salad I threw together and really enjoyed. In addition to the fresh corn we bought at the Berry Ranch, there is quinoa, tomato, and Tamari Sesame Dressing, on a bed of lettuce with lemon wedges.









These are VwaV Scones, pg. 42. I did Isa's 'Berry Scones' variation using some of our Berry Ranch berries. I baked these to take to a playdate for the girls at a swimming pool, and wanted them to be appealing, so I sprinkled some pink sugar on top (not let's do organic as I'd like it to be, but I'm using up what we have first). All the kids kept calling them cookies - I think because of the sprinkles. Hey, whatever works!




No comments: