Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Urban Vegan's Gone Wild Contest!

To me, there's something naughty and overly indulgent about buying processed junk food -- especially for vegans because most are off limits. For urban vegan's contest, I scoped this PeTA site and tried to create some decadent desserts. What a fun challenge - thanks, urban!

Originally, my 'Sinful Sandwiches' were to have the creamy richness of Jello-O Instant Chocolate Pudding, sadly I discovered it doesn't firm up with Vanilla Silk. Next time I'll get some Smucker's Marshmallow topping...

Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs Cereal (crushed)
Nabisco Chocolate Teddy Grahams (crushed)
Chick-o-sticks (crushed)
Peanut butter
Dark Chocolate (melted)
Coconut flakes
Cherries (sliced)
Kiwi (sliced)
Powdered Sugar (sprinkle on top)

I used biscuit cutters to get the circle shape, baked @ 400* for 10 minutes, sliced them in half, and then assembled the sinful sandwiches. The cherry & chocolate combo tasted a lot like a cherry cordial, but our favorite topping was crushed Reese's Cereal. Go to the link above to see what else is "accidentally vegan," you might be surprised at just how indulgent you can be. <3

8 comments:

theONLYtania said...

Oh my gosh.. that is the most amazing combination of ingredients ever. Those look AWESOME! Haha. Decadent indeed.
Yeah, the pudding packages say something like "don't use low fat or dairy free milk"... I just ignored that.

laura k said...

Looks great!!!

aTxVegn said...

Oh, I love little bite sized treats and those look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Last time I tried to make pudding, i left out 1/2 a cup of soymilk...and it worked fine. Try it out! this looks great!

madeinalaska said...

Great job on those little treats.. I have found a packet of chocolate pudding that’s vegan and tasted pretty good. Maybe on one of your trips to California you could look for that.. it firms up very nicely.

bazu said...

You are so right- there IS something really naughty and indulgent about buying junk food! Those sandwiches look so cute- I mean sinful!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I agree, sometimes we all "splurge" on junk food every once in a while. I had no idea Smucker's Marshmallow topping was vegan. I might pick some up today because my niece is coming for 3 weeks and for part of that time we're going camping in Florida. It would be a lot of fun to make smores with her.

Anonymous said...

looks very good!