Thursday, January 24, 2008

Feeling The Joy of Vegan Baking!

It was a perfect situation for making 'Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins' from The Joy of Vegan Baking.....

We had 4 ripe bananas!

With a little help, this recipe is easy enough for an "almost" 5 year old. Pick your favorite muffin liner design for 12 cups, and use your fine-motor skills to separate them.





Measure the dry ingredients.


We used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose.









Carefully stir that together.















Use a potato masher to squash 4 ripe bananas. This requires some muscle!


While that is going on, mom can use a hand-mixer for the sugar & oil.









Sample the semisweet chocolate chips to make sure they're not poison before adding to the flour mixture. I know it's risky, but someone has to do the quality control.


Finally, combine all the ingredients.

Carefully fill the muffin liners, but not too full.




We had enough batter to also make a little heart cake. It turned out perfect.











The girls LOVE, LoVe, love these muffins! I believe they think they're getting one over on me because there are chocolate chips...

When actually, I'm getting one over on them because of the 4 bananas and whole wheat flour! Just think of all that beneficial potassium, vitamins A, B, & C, & fiber! I feel really good about serving these to my kids.
What joy have you baked from this cookbook?

19 comments:

The Fast Lane said...

I've just made these muffins for the second time. I got the cookbook as a Christmas gift and I'm planning on trying each recipe. (Didn't really care for the lemon/blueberry muffins that much.)
But DH and I just loved this recipe so much the first time, I had to try it again. It was a little to crumbly the first time around, so I used 3 muffins. Also I subbed out 1/2 C flaxseed meal for 1/2 C of the flour so it wouldn't be so sinful.
I love the idea of making a loaf in the heart pan. Valentines day is just around the corner!
Jane of VeganBits.com

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

aww you know how i feel about your sweet kids and cooking!! i imagine that they will be great vegan chefs one day, and then receiving an award, they will say. " i want to thank my mom for all the time spent with her in the kitchen. she is my inspiration"

i cant wait to have kids.!

Anonymous said...

That's adorable! Kids just love baking. There's something about baking that makes every kid want to help (could it be the possibility of licking the bowl... hehe..)

Calimaryn said...

Oh I love that recipe! The chef looks like she enjoyed it quite a bit as well. So adorable.

MeloMeals said...

Your girls are so adorable.. It's wonderful that you are teaching them to love healthy foods and get involved in the process.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I don't own that cookbook, but I must say those banana muffins sound fabulous - yum!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I'm thinking I must get this cookbook... and soon!

urban vegan said...

If I had those cute little sous-chefs, I'd be baking all the time.

Carrie™ said...

What a wonderful post. Your daughter is adorable and very good with her motor skills, I must say. The post below with the chef hats is priceless!

bazu said...

how awesome that your daughters are getting such a feel (and love) for baking at such an early age!

beautiful muffins, too!

Lisa S. said...

I love that you document every baking step w/a photo! I'm not at that point yet, but I'm inspired!

I belong to a "coffee clutch" of sorts, and am the only Vegan. Everything thinks that makes me an alien because I won't eat the scrambled eggs & bacon that are offered... so I bake a treat from Colleen's cookbook each time! I've made the rustic apple spice muffins (which were a HUGE hit) and the cinnamon coffee cake. Apparently, one of the women was so enamored w/the coffee cake she called her husband at WORK to tell him about it. LOL!

Vegan baking, I've found, is not only exceptionally tasty, but not as easily recognizable as our traditional alien food (like tofu) is. ;)

Theresa said...

How selfless of your little baker to test the chocolate chips for you all! Toooo cute.

julie hasson said...

Your girls are so adorable Vicki! And the hats are too cool.

Those muffins look yummy. I'll have to give them a try. I love the pancakes from that book.

Regina said...

I love that book! I got a copy for the holidays and it is great. The apple cobbler is mighty tasty.

The girls look like they're having a great time. I love getting my guys in the kitchen. It's almost easier just having them participate than having them run in and out with one issue or another.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Haven't tried those muffings yet, but I obviously need to! That's so cute that your girls help out with the process. Your "almost 5 year old" looks so focused!
I have had good success (meaning omnis liked it) with the JOV cheesecakes, and the cinnamon rolls. Must get to more of them soon!

Anonymous said...

mmm muffins...and your girls are the cutest!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a couple of cute little helpers!

trina said...

I think muffins are perhaps the perfect kid food. I really haven't tried much from this book yet but maybe I'll give this recipe a go.

KleoPatra said...

This post is as LOVEly as i've ever seen. So terrific, all of it. i bet those muffins are fantastic!!