Tuesday, March 4, 2008

More Recent Eats (hits & misses)

'Corn Muffins' with blueberries from The Joy of Vegan Baking. I used flaxseed instead of Ener-G egg replacer and vanilla flavored soy milk. The recipe doesn't specify, but I think I shouldn't have drained the can of corn, as the mixture was quite thick making the muffins dense. I liked them well enough, but the girls didn't.
Does anyone else listen to Colleen's podcast, Compassionate Cooks? They are super informative & interesting.



That chocolate craving hit us, so I endorsed a batch of 'Bitchtastic Brownies' because the recipe was printed in VegNews (#60) and also because "Skinny Bitch" is in my purse for reading on the go. This picture depicts the best part of our brownies -- scraping down the bowl and licking the spatula. Did I make a mistake? Was that a recipe misprint? The batter seemed runny with 3/4 cup silken tofu plus oil, and only a 1/3 cup flour. Whatever the reason, our brownies resembled gooey fudge, which Liv enjoyed with a spoon until I said "No more."

I love cooking with my crock-pot, so naturally, I was most excited to come across this page of recipes from VegCooking. I followed this recipe exactly for the 'Crock-Pot Chili' adding the optional veggie burger crumbles (Morning Star).
Verdict? Let's just say that If I were going to a chili cook-off tomorrow, this is what I'd making tonight! With a couple minor adjustments like more red pepper flakes, and Art requested sauteed seitan on top next time.



Here's the finishing touches for another recipe from this month's VegNews (#60) 'Irish Soda Bread' by Robin Robertson. This was a quick bread to make from scratch and delicious, too.

Perfect for soaking up chili.







The bread was served warm with a slather of Earth Balance, alongside the chili, topped with a dollop of vegan sour cream, parsley from my AeroGarden, and a ring of steamed kale.

We enjoyed this meal very much! The girls wouldn't touch this meal with a ten-foot pole, but I have high hopes!





Scanning the freezer reminded me that we still had lots of fresh-frozen cherries from last summer. I spotted a blueberry cobbler recipe in The Joy of Vegan Baking, subbed in my cherries, and before you know it, we were eating 'Cherry Cobbler' like it was July.







Taking the skin off garlic is one of Liv's favorite ways to help in the kitchen. This one gave us an extra lesson on how things grow... For example, did you know dinosaurs are the same color as garlic shoots?!








Finally, I couldn't resist making 'White Bean and Kale Soup' which won "Best Soup" in Vegetarian Times', March '08 issue. It was flavorful with yams, great Northern beans, kale, & curry powder -- though it called for smoked paprika, which I can not find anywhere in town. Suppose smoked paprika has penetrated the Idaho state border? Questionable. I should probably just take Julie's advice and visit Penzey's.

20 comments:

DJ said...

All the food you cook looks wonderful and I love the fact you do misses as well as hits! That chili and cornbread looks like it would really hit the spot!

laura said...

smoked paprika is amazing! definitely keep your eye out for it. it's awesome as a seasoning for roasted potatoes too. this is the one i finally found at my farmer's market. yum!

MeloMeals said...

Everything looks great, but that chili meal is really calling my name.

It is definitely worth seeking out the smoked paprika...

Anonymous said...

Those muffin cups are adorable!

Anonymous said...

Oh Viki! I love the crock-pot chili and that soup!! Must be the kale <3

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Believe it or not, I found my smoked paprika at Ralphs. Go figure!

Anonymous said...

this looks so good, thanks for the tip in the muffins recipe.

julie hasson said...

I love the hits and misses too Vicki. It helps to know which recipes to avoid.

Everything looks so good, especially that chili and kale with soda bread. Yum!

Although you can order from Penzey's online, you could always make a trip out of it. I'd love to take you around to some of my favorite haunts.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

considering the crock-pot chili, white bean & kale soup, and the cherry cobbler were such hits, I wouldn't worry about the brownies and muffins being misses - after all, it's the misses that really let us become better chefs in the kitchen!! :0)

Catherine Weber said...

Vicki, thanks for the link to the crock pot recipes! I do not use my crock pot nearly often enough -- but I love it!

Cherry cobbler . . . yum. I may have to see if I can find any frozen cherries at the co-op this weekend!

urban vegan said...

Your girls are quiet the little chefs--I love seeing the pix of them cooking.

I love kale--wish Omniman did, too

Billy said...

I like your blog. I've added you to my blogroll.

That's cute that your kid helps out in the kitchen. And, yes, it's strange that the garlic shoots and the dinosaur are exactly the same color!

The Little Mama said...

Yum! Those cornmeal muffins look really good, despite the fact that they weren't loved by all. :)
And the soup, chili and soda bread look perfect!

moi + toi PHOTOGRAPHIE said...

good looking food as always.... Happy international womans day!!

Anonymous said...

I had the same "problem" with the 'bitchtastic brownies.' They were definitely too fudgy for me. I guess I prefer a cakey brownie.

The chili, soup and cobbler look amazing. I am going to have to buy more cookbooks!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Licking the bowl is definitely my favorite part of making brownies/cookies/whatever. And I'm very much looking forward to Irish soda bread this St. Patrick's Day :o).

Jackie said...

Thanks for the chili recipe. Winter coming here soon and love it then.

Must also have another bash at Irish soda bread as I love it and just maybe it won't turn out heavy enough to be a door stop this time LOL

The rest of your dishes looking wonderful as well.

jd said...

Mmmm - that crock-pot chili looks great!

I've been hesitant to use my crock-pot ever since it (or more likely I) turned out a very sub-par recipe with it quite some time ago...

However, I've decided to give it another try, & this recipe looks like the perfect one to make.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

everything looks awesome! i love the fact that you have family time in the kitchen - what a wonderful way to pass on your skills!

Anonymous said...

Before finding out about links of london uk watches you should be familiar with some of the terminology. cheap links of london The word horology has two meanings; it is the study or science of measuring time links london jewellery or the art of making clocks, watches, and devices for telling links of london sale time.Since the first appearance of man on the earth an effort has links of london silver been made to determine time.The tracking of the sun's movement across discount links of london the sky, candles that were marked at intervals.