Friday, April 28, 2006

Bags of Gold & Berry Oat Squares

I've been wanting to make these for a while, and Dori gave me the extra inspiration that I needed. In California, we used to buy something like this frozen from Ralph's called bags of gold. They were a big treat for us back then because it was a very rare thing to find pre-packaged vegetarian items at the grocery store. Garden burger was about all there was 10 years ago. Anyhow, I wanted a quick & yummy snack -- and this was both!




Lightly spray the muffin pan with veg. oil, place a wrap in each compartment, and begin filling them with pre-cooked items. Pinch them closed at the top with a little water. Cook @ 350 for about 20 minutes, and toward the end keep a watch on them so they don't burn. I covered mine with tin foil toward the last 5 minutes. These are filled with Smart BBQ and left over quinoa - two things that I just happened to have in the fridge at the time. I think this would be a nice Friday item to use up left-overs from the week. For kids, set up a buffet so they can fill their own.


The Berry Oat Squares recipe is from La Dolce Vegan! by Sarah Kramer. With this one, I'm thinking that I messed around with the recipe too much. Abi didn't even like it -- possibly because of my modifications, or maybe because our family is too spoiled on more sugary treats to appreciate it? For whatever reason, this one didn't fly.






Recipe (My modifications):

3/4 C. Vegan Margarine (Earth Balance Shortening)
1 1/2 C. Rolled Oats
1 1/4 C. Flour (1 C. WW Flour, 1/4 C. Flax Meal)
1/2 C. Sugar
1 C. Blueberries (Frozen, not thawed)
1/2 C. Jam (Blackberry)
1 Tsp. Flour (WW Flour)


No comments: