Sunday, April 30, 2006

Earthy Lentil Soup

We had a storm last night, which was reason enough for me to make some soup this morning. Since getting Vive le Vegan!, I've been wanting to make the Earthy Lentil Soup because of rave reviews from other bloggers. This picture shows red onion, celery, colorful carrots, shallots, and garlic heating with olive oil. I really must stock up on spices, as I had to go without 4 listed in the recipe. Instead, I added shallots and doubled the tamari -- it was too late to turn back and I was hoping I wouldn't have a disaster on my hands.



Here is the soup simmering on the stove -- I kept it there for a couple hours (really testing the family's restraint!) At this point I was thinking that even if the soup wasn't edible, it was already a success because of the aroma that filled our home. Another reason why I wanted to try this soup is because it doesn't have tomato in it. Don't get me wrong, I love tomatoes, but it seems they are in so many soups, and I wanted something a little different.




Here is my first bowl of Dreena's Earthy Lentil Soup, and I must say that even better than the smell is the taste -- that's saying a lot. Mmm, good...this is a delectable soup! The idea was to freeze some of it for another day like the recipe suggests, but I don't think there will be enough to do that. I love having a hearty item like this in the fridge that only needs a quick heating to enjoy. This one will be put in our regular rotation.


No comments: