Friday, June 2, 2006

Leftover Grains Muffins

This muffin recipe came from Gourmet Vegetarian Feasts by Martha Rose Shulman, and this is the first time I've attempted to veganize a recipe - 5 of the 10 ingredients were changed and are in parenthesis:

1/2 C. chopped dried figs or apricots (sun-dried organic peaches)
1 1/4 C. WW Flour (mine is WW pastry flour)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tblp. honey (agave nectar)
1/4 C. melted butter (Earth Balance)
2 eggs (Egg Replacer)
2/3 C. milk (Silk)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 C. cooked brown rice, millet, couscous, or bulghur (I used quinoa)

I really like the idea of using up last night's leftovers in the next day's breakfast. They tasted OK right out of the oven, but I'm pretty sure that you're not supposed to be able to stack muffins like this. Any input on veganizing a recipe?

PS ~ Last night I ordered Vegan with a Vengence!

No comments: