Friday, July 28, 2006

Mocha Chip Muffins (minus the mocha, add some chocolate)

I was outnumbered - 2 to 1. It was a simple and persistent request, "Mommy, you want to make some muffins?" "Mommy, I'll make you muffins!" "Mommy wants to cook." "Mommy, will cook it." "Mommy will make muffins...Please." Variations of this phrase were repeated over & over in hopes of breaking the code - to say it in such a way as to spur some action. It was only a matter of seconds before it broke me down, so I preheated the oven and pulled Vegan with a Vengeance off the shelf. In this photo, you can see my pay-off in the chocolate tooth black-out smile.


This one was just along for the ride. She loves all food and would be happy enough to enjoy anything her sister could motivate momma to make. She added to the hype with her yelps and observed big sister to learn some tricks of the trade.

As for me, well, I had a sweet tooth.......





Page 51 has the recipe for 'Mocha Chip Muffins' and I made a couple slight variations, though they probably deserve a different title since there is no mocha. Who has instant coffee in the house? Not me, and I probably drink too much coffee, but not the instant kind. I also used 1 cup Chocolate Silk instead of plain; as well as Zen Soy chocolate pudding instead of plain soy yogurt. Add the above two extra helpings of chocolate to the cocoa powder & chocolate chips the recipe calls for, and you get black-out chocolate teeth! I highly recommend these next time you need chocolate. I look at them and wonder... Why are these muffins and not cupcakes?


No comments: