Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Lentil & Carrot Soup with Seitan

Fall was in the air a couple days ago, and so soup was in order. The plan was set when I saw a 3-pack of cannonballs at the store - I thought of Leslie's bread bowls and wanted to try. It was fun making up this recipe, and it was so delicious that it's worth noting -- goes like this:

LENTIL & CARROT SOUP:
2 C. Red Lentils
6 C. Water
8 Carrots, cut in circles
1 Yellow Onion, super-finely chopped
1/2 Garlic, finely chopped (Asian Tempest)
1 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Braggs Liquid Aminos
1 Tbsp. Hoisin Sauce
2 Tsp. Blackstrap Molasses
2 Tsp. Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp. Cumin
1/4 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper



Bring it all to a boil on med/high. Cover & reduce the heat to low. I let the soup simmer on the stove most of the day, making the house smell so good!

I carved out the cannonballs, saving the bread for dipping. Then, I topped it off with some seitan I had in the freezer -- the soy vay marinated, which we prefer.

And look, I "discovered" a new variety of garlic! This is Asian Tempest. The skin is more redish, and the cloves are BIG - one half of the entire garlic is only 3 cloves. The best part is that the skins come off effortlessly. It has a wonderfully strong flavor. I prefer this over the "regular" garlic, and the farmer's market vendor sold it for $1 per/globe. There were other kinds of garlic that I'll be checking into next Saturday.

Anybody else rock the Asian Tempest Garlic?


No comments: