Monday, September 4, 2006

Pancakes with Blueberry Maple Syrup & Sweet Potato Fries with Mango Sauce

Perk up your pancakes with 'Blueberry Maple Syrup' next time the griddle is hot -- the recipe's in Vive le Vegan, pg. 2o. This is the beginning of a simple recipe that'll make your pancakes and tummy happy. I love the color of blueberries....almost as much as the flavor.







The syrup topped 'Pancakes' from VwaV, page. 31. I omitted the optional cinnamon, and used vanilla soy milk instead of plain. I didn't do either of the 2 variations to this recipe, and kept it simple for the girls. Isa says, "Straight up pancakes, just like at the diner at 2.00 AM." The left-over cakes keep well in the fridge & are ideal for snacking through-out the day. Spread some peanutbutter on one, add a slice of banana and you have a little sandwich my kids love.



Though, Liv prefers hers plain --- AND, so does Jolie! If I had taken this photo a half second later, there'd only be one pancake. Luckily, there were more cakes to go around. She's such a good dog, and by all rights, that one was hers -- just look how close the pancake is to Jolie's nose.





These are 'Sweet Potato Fries' also from VwaV, page 114. In the bowl is my pretty successful attempt at duplicating a most fantastic dipping sauce served at a restaurant in town, PAIR, with their yam fries. We go there frequently on Saturday nights, and usually order the yam fries with THE mango sauce. I've asked a couple times if they'd part with the recipe -- each time, "No," accompanied with an are you kidding? look. This weekend, one of the servers gave it up! and so easily. I'd almost given up asking, but she was a new face, so I gave it a whirl. She shamelessly rattled off the recipe for me. Such a doll, and smart -- she knows how to work the tips! Below is my homemade, veganized version:

MANGO DIPPING SAUCE

1 Mango, finely chopped
1/4 C. Nayonaise
1 Tbsp. Sriracha Sauce

Combine it all and Chill. Call it your new fry sauce.

Does anybody else cook with Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce?





No comments: