Monday, October 23, 2006

Millennium Restaurant & China Town (San Francisco Post 2 of 3)

When we were deciding where to go for a couple days, San Francisco rose to the top for more reasons than just the obvious spectacularness of the city -- we have friends to visit (I just calculated that Lorna & I have been buds for 27 years!), and we really wanted to eat at the Millennium. Here we are sitting on the grassy steps of Union Square in anticipation of a gourmet vegan meal. It is a shame that I don't have photos of our meal. If you've seen his cookbook, The Artful Vegan, then you'll have an idea of what I mean. Each meal looked like a work of art -- very complicated & elaborate dishes. Nope, no photos. *dabbing corner of eye* I did get the above mentioned cookbook, which was signed by Eric Tucker himself -- he took a little break from cooking to do so. I saw him with my own eyes -- matched him right up with his cookbook photos.


Both our meals were Vegan, Organic, Local, Beautiful, & Delicious! We can't wait to go back.

Art's --
1. Grilled Bitter Greens and Sweet Onion Salad
fresh black Mission figs, house-smoked tofu, pecan-fig-balsamic vinaigrette
2. Chipotle Grilled Portobello Mushroom
cranberry bean & posole chile verde, butternut squash masa arepa, sauteed greens, sweet chipotle glaze, spiced toasted pumpkin seeds
Mine --
1. Roasted Pumpkin Salad
apples & sweet peppers, cider vinaigrette, toasted pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed oil
2. Pomegranate Glazed Tempeh
autumn vegetable hash, Israeli couscous with saffron "cream", green coriander, shaved fennel & lemon pickle, pomegranate seeds


This month's
Veg News has an article "Tips from the Top - Veg chefs dish their delicious home-cooking secrets" in which Eric Tucker (Millennium co-owner) says his pantry must-have is curry paste, and his kitchen tool essential is a knife sharpener. Fun question... Guess if I could only pick one of each, It'd be Earth Balance & a Vegetable Peeler. What's your pantry must-have? And your kitchen tool essential?

1 comment:

madeinalaska said...

ohh ohh I know!! I know~~!!
I use to buy the Costco already peeled and chopped garlic.. Until I discovered the difference REAL garlic made in, um EVERYTHING!!!! So my choice would have to be my garlic mincer!!!
Next hummm hard call between the hand held mixer and my blender.. both of which seem to get daily work outs..
Umm.. the coffee maker should be on my list..
Okay no fair you only asked one.. And Well, obviously I could not come up w/ just one.... I will have to think on it and get back
By the way I LOVE your San Fran photo's you are one lucky girl.. You and hubby - kids.. I have some kind of fantasy’s about that.. Someday.. Maybe?
Take care
Julee